History of Whitehall
In the late 1700's, the area upon which the City sprang was initially among lands that the federal government gave to Canadian refugees who fought for the colonies - - as compensation for their service. Among them was Robert Taylor, from Nova Scotia, who in 1810 received land in central Ohio between the Scioto River and Big Walnut Creek. The township that was incorporated on land east of Alum Creek was named Truro, presumably after Mr. Taylor's home in Nova Scotia.
In 1820, a 156-acre tract in the township was transferred, by decree of President James Monroe, to John Long. He and his wife, Elizabeth, transferred the land in 1821 to John M. Walcutt and his wife, Marilla, who in turn transferred it to George Spencer in 1836, for the sum of $5,000. The transfer document calls the parcel "White Hall, and occupied by J. M. Walcutt." It appears to be the first reference to the area as White Hall. The reason for its naming, however, is unknown. Names of subsequent owners were Brotherton, Wilson, Brockway, Doney and Hoddy, some of whom bought land surrounding the initial 156 acres to expand the farm. The area in and around the farm was unofficially known as Whitehall, and a township school built across from the inn/tavern in 1923 was named The Whitehall School. The long association of the area to that name led to it being chosen for the village when it incorporated in 1947.
Whitehall Becomes a Village
Gradually, the community grew until its incorporation as a village in 1947. That same year, Town & Country, the nation’s first regional shopping center, opened in Whitehall.
After World War II, the demand for housing by returning veterans gave rise to residential construction, which includes the twin singles and townhouses of English Village and Parklawn manor and the single-family prefabricated homes in the Norton Field subdivision. These solidly built units, now over 63 years old, have proven to be extremely serviceable and remain affordable for many young, hardworking families.
In the early 1950s, Whitehall was the nation’s fastest growing city. Overall, population jumped from 4,077 in 1950 to 20,818 in 1960. Today, population has leveled at approximately 19,214.